Monday, November 16, 2009

post 9:The use of Imagery (Ashley)

Imagerey: The use of vivid or figurative language to represent objects, actions, or ideas. The use of expressive or evocative images in art, literature, or music.

Passage: Pg1: " At night I lay in bed and watch the show, how bees squeezed through the cracks of my bedroom wall and flew circles around the room, making the propeller sound, sound a high pitched Zzz that hummed along my skin. I watched their wings shining like bits of chrome in the dark and felt the longing build in my chest. The way those bees flew, not even looking for a flower , just flying for the feel of the wind,spilt my heart down it's seam.

During the day I heard them tunneling through the walls of my bedroom, sounding like a radio tuned to static in the next Room, and I imagined them in there turning the walls into honey -combs, with honey seeping out for me to taste."

Explanation: The passage above is a part of the book where the author uses imagery. I think that the bees represent Life and imagination in the book because when lily hears the bees she always goes into deep thought and imagination. Also they represent life because they show how Lily would like to live like the bees instead of the way she's living now with T- Ray. She says " The way those bees flew, not even looking for a flower, just flying for the feel of the wind..." this shows how much Lily admired how those bees flew and how she felt trapped with T- Ray. The significance of this passage was to show the feelings of Lily through a non literal way.Imagery is The use of vivid or figurative language to represent objects, actions, or ideas

No comments:

Post a Comment