Monday, November 16, 2009

Post 10:figurative language ( Ashley)

Figurative language: A technique in writing in which the author temporarily interrupts the order, construction, or meaning of the writing for a particular effect. This interruption takes the form of one or more figures of speech such as hyperbole, irony, or simile

Passage: pg 238 :

.. " He's not the daddy type"
"What do you mean"
"He yells all the time."
"At you?"
" At everything in the world. But that's not the reason I left."
"Then what was it Lily?"
" T- Ray he told me my mother..." The tears rushed up, and my words came out in high pitched sounds I didn't recognize."He said she left me, that she left both of us and ran away." A wall of glass broke in my chest, A wall I didn't even know was there....
I was pressed so close to her I felt her heart like a Small throbbing pressure against my chest. Her hands rubbed my back. She didn't say, come on now, stop your crying, every things going to be OK, which is the automatic thing people say when they want you to shut up. She said, " It hurts, i know it does. Let it out. Just let it out."
So I did With my mouth pressed against her dress, it seemed like a drew up my life load of pain and hurled it into her breast, heaved it with the force of my mouth, and she didn't flinch."

Explanation: The passage above is just on of the many passages that show figurative language. The part of this passage that shows figurative language is " wall of glass broke in my chest, A wall I didn't even know was there" This shows figurative language because it is not literal, but it changes the words definitions to make the sentence sound dramatic. The authors purpose was to make the scene more dramatic and let the reader have an image in there head of what lily is really feeling. I know that this is the authors purpose because when I was reading this I really felt like I knew how Lily was feeling because of that sentence and I knew just how terrible she felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment