Monday, November 16, 2009

post 4:Setting Of the Novel (Ashley)


Setting:The context and environment in which a situation is set; the background. The time, place, and circumstances in which a narrative, drama, or film takes place.
Passage:Pg 51- " We started walking. If you think the country is quiet , you've 'e never lived in it. Tree frogs alone make you wish for earplugs. We walked along pretending like it wasa regular day. Rosaleen said it loked like that farmer who'd driven us here had a good crop of cantaloupes.I said It was amazing the mosquitoes weren't out.
When we came to a bridge with water running beneath , we decided we would pick our way down to the creek bed anf rest for the night. It was a diffrent universe down there, The water shining with flecks of moving light and kuduzu vines draped between the pine trees like giant hammocks. It reminded me of Grimm Brothers forest, drawing up the nervous feelings I used to get when I stepped into the pages of fairytales, where inthinkable things were likley - You just never knew."
Explanation: This is just one of the many settings in this book. I choose this passage because I felt that this was the best passage that explained the novels setting.The author's purpose of this passage was to make the reader feel like they were there with Lily and Rosaleen. She wanted the readers to feel lost but free at the same time. I know that this is the author's purpose because while reading this I felt exactly like that. I felt as if I was there with them.If closed my eyes I could just Imagine the creek and the darkness and the sounds of the crickets and frogs. I also felt really scared and lost for lily because they were in the middle of nowhere and she had no idea what to do once they did get toTiburon. I also felt Free because she was finally free from T- ray and she didn't have to live with him making her feel miserable.

No comments:

Post a Comment