Saturday, November 14, 2009

post 1:Internal Conflict (Natalia)

Internal Conflict (natalia)
Motherless Lily lives unhappily with her emotionally detached father, who claims that Lily, as a small child, accidentally killed her mother. When her black maid and only friend Rosaleen gets arrested for confronting three racists, Lily decides to break Rosaleen out of jail. Together they run away to a place Lily suspects her mother once spent time.[PG 49-51] We stood on the side of Highway 40 in a patch of shade provided by a faded billboard for lucky strike cigarettes.I stuck out my thumb while every car on the highway sped up the second they save us. A colored man driving a beat-up chevy truck full of cantaloupes had mercy on us. I climbed in first and kept having to scoot over as Rosaleen settled herself by the window.
The man said he was on his way to visit his sister in Columbia, that he was taking the cantaloupes to the state farmers' market. I told him I was going to Tiburon to visit my aunt and Rosaleen was comingto do housework for her. It sounded so lame, be he accepted it.
"I can drop you three miles from Tiburon," he said. Sunset is the saddest light there is. We rode a long time in the glow of it, everything silent except for the crickets and the frogs shield as the burned lights took over the sky.
The farmer flicked on the radio and the supremes blared through the truck cab with "Baby, baby where did our love go?" Theres nothing like a song about lost love to remind you how everything so precious can slip from the hinges where you've hung it so careful. I laid my head against Rosaleen's arm.I wanted her to pat life back into place, but her hands lay still in her lap.
Ninety miles after we'd climbed his truck, the farmer pulled off the road beside a sign that read Tibruron 3 miles. It pointed letf toward a road curving away into silverly darkness. Climbing out of the truck, Rosaleen asked if we cpuld have one of his cantalopes for our supper.
"take yourself two," he said.
We waited till his taillights turned to specks no bigger than lightning bugs before we spoke or even moved. I was trying not to think how sad and lost we really were. I was not so sure it was an improvement over living with T. Ray, or even life in prison. there wasnt a soul anywhere to help us. But still, I felt painfully alive, like every cell in my body had a little flame inside it, burning so brightly it hurt.
I chose this passage because it shows the journey of Rosaleen and Lilly to get to Tiburon because it is one of their conflicts that they have because Rosaleen escaped from prison and now they are on the run. Lilly ranaway from her house.

No comments:

Post a Comment