Saturday, November 14, 2009

post 2: foreshadowing (Natalia)

Foreshadowing:The novel opens with Lily watching bees fly around her bedroom. These bees foreshadow Lily’s interaction with the Boatwright sisters at August’s bee farm.[pg 1-] At night i would lie in bed and watch the show, how bees squeezed through the cracs of my bedroom wall and flew circles around the room, making that propeller sound, a high pitched zzzzzzzzzz that hummed along my skin. I watched their wings shinning like bits of chrome in the dark and felt the longing bulid in my chest. The way those bees flew, not even looking for a flower just flying for the feel of the wind split my heart down its seam.
During the day I heard them tunneling through the walls of my bedroom, sounding like a radio tuned to satic in the next room, and I imagined them in there turning the walls into honey combs, with honey seeping out for me to taste.

The bees came the summer of 1964, the summer I turned 14 and my life went to spinning off into a whole new orbit, and I mean I mean whole new orbit. Looking back on it now, I want to say the bees were sent to me.I want to say they showed up like the angel Gabriel appearing to the Virgin Mary, setting events in the motion I could never have guessed. I know it is presumptuous so compare my small life to hers, but I have reason to believe she wouldn't mind; I will get to that. Right now it's enough to say that despite everything that happened that summer, I reamin tender toward the bees.

I chose this passage because in the beginning of the book it tells us about Lilly's in teraction with the bees. Then this moment foreshadows her interaction with the Boatwright sisters because they are beekeeping sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment